Friday, December 29, 2017

2018 Canvas Fabric Covered Calendar with Sandy McTier


A New Year is upon us, and, I don’t know about you, but I always love going into the new year with a clean, fresh calendar and watching it fill up with FUN travels and plans!
I loved this 2018 canvas fabric covered calendar I picked up on my teaching trip to Taiwan this year! What better way to enjoy it than to decorate it!!

The calendar came covered with this beautiful teal canvas fabric, and it was just screaming to be painted, so here’s what I did…
I loaded a Dynasty 1/2” Stencil brush with DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Titanium White and then wiped almost all of it off on a paper towel. Using small circular motions, I brushed over the large Southern Ridge Trading Company Fireworks stencil. TIP: Go clockwise and counter clockwise to pick up any excess paint that might build up on the edges of the stencil. I stenciled the back cover as well.






I wanted the large design on the top right corner on the cover to stand out more than the other areas, so using my #2 Round, I accented it with some Titanium White

Next, I loaded up my bird stamp with StazOn ink and tested it on a piece of paper. I reloaded the stamp and stamped the image on the cover. Then, using the #8 Shader, I painted the shape of the bird with two coats of DecoArt Media White Gesso letting it dry in between coats.




Once the gesso completely dried, I reloaded the stamp with ink, lined it up with the bird and re-stamped the image.


I went back over the lines later with an Identi-Pen, so wasn’t too fussed if some lines weren’t as dark.
Note: I loaded the stencil brush that still had Titanium White in it with some Quinacridone Magenta and then wiped almost all of it off on a paper towel. Then I ran the brush over some dry wall tape.

It was finally time to add some color! I painted the bird with Titan Buff and the flowers with Quinacridone Magenta and Phthalo Blue. The leaves, scrolls and centers for the flowers were done with Green Gold. Then I floated in some Sap Green at the base of the leaves. I added a touch of Titanium White on the tips of the flower petals to brighten them up just a bit and then added a white highlight on each of the leaves and scrolls. I painted the center of the eye with Carbon Black and then when dry, highlighted with white. Once everything was dry, I went over the entire design with the fine tip of the Identi-Pen.   




The cover still needed a punch of color so I added some dots using the DecoArt paint pouncers and an old hotel key card. Pulling the edge of the card through some Carbon Black, I slid back and forth to paint lines in the areas where the polka dots will go. For the dots, I loaded the large end of the pouncer with Titanium White and then ran one side of the sponge through some Phthalo Blue, pressed, twisted and, wha-la… polka dots! I wiped the pouncer off and repeated the step with some Quinacridone Magenta and then used the smaller end with Titanium White and Green Gold.




Now to add the year! Still having a hard time believing that it’s almost 2018! Time sure does fly!!
The new SRTC Circle Advent Numbers were perfect for the cover of my 2018 calendar!! I painted them with a Dynasty Foam brush loaded with Titanium White. Then with the white still on the brush, I loaded it with Quinacridone Magenta and painted along the bottom half of the numbers. They were a bit bright, so I grabbed a font stamp, loaded it with StazOn Ink and stamped over the numbers. Once everything was dry, I glued the numbers on with E6000 and started filling in all my upcoming travel dates!!






Finishing Touches: I added a few more lines with Carbon Black around the dots and then added some splatters of Carbon Black and Titanium White. I added a little highlight of Titanium White on the right side of each of the dots as well. I loaded the toe of a slightly damp 3/8” Angle brush with Quinacridone Gold and shaded around the inside edge of the birds body, wing and tail feathers. Finally, with Carbon Black loaded on the toe of the Angle brush, I shaded underneath the tail feathers, body and feet. I also shaded underneath the polka dots to give them some added dimension.

I hope this inspires you to create something fun to organize your 2018!!!

Southern Ridge Trading Company Supplies Used:


Other Supplies Used:

- Surface: 2018 Calendar
- Stamps: Live, Love, Laugh Bird Stamp – www.SandyMcTierDesigns.com &
Vintage Note #RS-P249 – www.Stampendous.com
- DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Titanium White, Sap Green, Green Gold, Quinacridone Magenta, Titan Buff, Quinacridone Gold, Phthalo Blue and Carbon Black.
- DecoArt Media White Gesso
- Dynasty Brushes: Black Gold #8 Shader, #4 Shader, #2 Round,  3/8" Angle, 1/2" Stencil &
IPC Large Foam
- Other Supplies: DecoArt Paint Pouncer, Identi-Pen, E6000


2018 Calendar Design ~ Sandy McTier Designs ~ All Rights Reserved

Y’all have a GREAT day and a super CREATIVE 2018!  Sandy


1 comment: